08 March 2008

7 February 2008; Arrived in Leh, Ladakh

I hope that this message finds you all well. I have been very busy this past week. We arrived in Delhi on Saturday morning and spent about three days seeing the Old Delhi which is quite impoverished and the New Delhi, set up by the British in colonial times, and is a contrast to say the least; there is a lot of wealth in this latter area. We had tours and discussions at a Delhi hospital, newspaper, and government building. We also visited a very special school called Manzil where a great man named Ravi Gulati educates pretty nearly anyone for free. He funds this using the rent income from a shop his father once owned, and by running a very inexpensive program; I don't believe he makes any income and his teachers are volunteers, often former students who feel devoted to giving back to this school. Materials and curriculum are mostly all made by the students and teachers together, rather than buying them so that they are motivated and learn from the whole process of creation at the same time.
We all arrived in Leh, Ladakh the day before yesterday. For the most part we have been resting due to various ailments. I needed plenty of sleep and fluids to adjust to the altitude (12,000ft), and to make matters worse I caught some sort of bug from the students or maybe some bad food--or both who knows! I'm well enough to go into town and write to you all though! Tomorrow we will make our way to the school SECMOL where we will be for the next three months, minus some time for treks and homestays. I will include a letter from one of the teachers that includes some contact info.
So far this has been an experience that I could never tell you all about from an internet cafe, but I'll try to tell you about particularly interesting experiences. This is just enough time to let you know that things are going well, there were few hitches in traveling, and things should get even better.
Jullay! (Ladakhi for hello, goodbye, thankyou, please, etc....)
Love, Bennet
We've arrived quite happily here in Ley, Ladakh after an intensely educational and exciting three-day orientation in Delhi. Students are thriving as a community and showing themselves to be extraordinarily insightful and mature in the enormous range of experiences we have encountered thus far. I must admit I am thoroughly impressed in every way! -- and very inspired and excited about the opportunities that lie ahead for all of us. Thanks again for taking part and making it all possible for these amazing students!

Throughout the semester, I'll be sending a few periodic updates with any crucial or newsworthy info. For the time being though, we wanted to make sure the lines of communication are clear and open. In terms of email, students will have opportunities approximately once a week to use the somewhat slow and inconsistent connection here in Ley. In addition, there is one dial up line (very inconsistent) at the SECMOL campus, which staff and students will have access to when necessary and functional.

The best way to reach us while we are on campus will be the SECMOL kitchen land line: 0091-1982226120. Best time to find us will be your morning and our afternoon/evening 5PM-9:30PM. Our morning before 9:30AM will also work. Ladakh time is 10.5 hours "ahead" of EST.

When we are not on campus, you can try to reach us on the VIS cell phone, which will be carried at all times by teachers: 0091-9906977437 On most treks and extended trips, there will of course be no cell coverage, but at these times we will be carrying our satellite phone for emergency purposes.

Finally, if you'd like to say hello to any of us between now and Friday morning when we move out to SECMOL campus, feel free to call us at the Oriental Guest House in Ley: 0091-1982253153. We'll definitely be available tonight, tomorrow morning, and tomorrow evening.

Hope this finds you all well, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns at any time in the next three and a half months.

Best Regards,
Sam, Daniela, James and Curtis

No comments: